1960 Caddy painted by Kenny Scharf

On April 12, 2006, Posted by , In Blog, With No Comments

1960 Caddy painted by Kenny Scharf

From last weekend’s openings.

No Comment so far:

1. aboutlooking says:

I think I have never really been a big admirer of his work.

2. admin says:

I haven’t either but, the past couple of years I think his work has become a bit less graffiti and more graphic. It’s “fun” work but, whatever floats your boat… right?

3. danthered says:

This is interesting. Based on this, I think I probably would let him paint my truck or maybe the Dart with an undersea type of theme, but not the 164 or the Lancer.

4. kdotdammit says:

It’s SO TACKY. Like Jetson Graffiti. Bean would love it. I better not let her see it, or we’ll be obligated to get one of these for our next car. (We’re currently obligated to get either a) A Scooby Doo Mystery Machine or b) A Batmobile. I don’t need to add another one to the list.)

5. admin says:

Yeah, it’s tacky but, fun in a perverted kind of way. I think Scharf has kind of taken his work into a kind of cult or temple of worship. It’s better looked at as fun but, not serious in the Gerhard Richter sense. Lots of art today is not serious so, that doesn’t necessarily qualify it as important even if Scharf is recognized as an innovator from the 80s in NYC. I actually like his work better now than then but, there’s no way that I would purposely live near any of his bright, gaudy paintings.

Also, I didn’t explain the cult thing better. I think his work, and similar work, has a following that copies or mimics the work and lacks enough creativity to “make it their own.” Look at that guy the CPratt likes that does the cartoon-like images. He, so far, has a following but, I don’t think he has designs on the same immortalization as Scharf craves from art history and the museum collectibility of his work.

6. I totally get what you’re saying here about the “immortalization”, but what I find interesting is, even though trendy as far as “interest in” has anyone really begun to think about the impact of the fact that even the most blaz’e tredy stuff is being immortalized through the fact that the information age seems to be immortalizing just about everything?

What I find really interesting is the basic principle that Google is based on, that being they “rank” a page by how many links to that page they can find. As future observers look back on this time what criteria will they use to determine what to “pick out” of the cacopheny?

7. velvetink says:

I wouldn’t say no if it was offered to me! Love the caddy and the colours are fun & comic but if I had to pay for it would choose some other style. Not familiar with this artist though imagine his work would go well in the magazine Juxtapoz. I knew a woman here (Melanie Purcell) who painted cars in the mexican madonna icon style which were beautiful. Not sure what she is doing now.

8. admin says:

Yes, I think his painting has been in Juxtapoz. That publication has a combination of low brow and other artists that’s pretty interesting and unique.

9. Anonymous says:

Cadillac

I love this! I think that the Cadillacs of that era were begging for this kind of treatment. The design was already over-the-top. I like how it seems to hover on a swimming-pool turquoise glow underneath.